I’m so excited to finally have the opportunity to interview John Jantsch of Duct Tape Marketing! John has been a marketing mentor of mine since I was invited to join the global network of Duct Tape Marketing consultants in 2007. At the time of this episode (May 2014), John is launching his 4th book, “Duct Tape Selling: Think Like a Marketer, Sell Like a Superstar“. When I heard John was going to be launching this book, I reached out to him and asked if he would join me for this podcast and he graciously accepted.
I know that many in the Admissions community may not enjoy thinking of themselves as “selling”. I do not pretend to equate what you do with that of a traditional salesman, I do think there is a similar function inside the organization. One premise of John’s book is that any disconnect or tension that has previously existed between sales and marketing, should no longer keep a business, nonprofit or school from adopting a new look at marketing and sales. In many schools, you may wear every single hat of communication, online presence, admissions and PR. But in many schools, the marketing arm is run by board members, the web/IT folks, a group of volunteers or a conglomerate of all of these players (where everyone considers their job as “marketing” yet no one is talking to the other!)
My interview was so good that I decided to split this interview into a 2-part series so we could continue our unique 14-minute/29-second podcast format. In this second episode (see a link to the first episode, #34, in the shownotes below), John talks about:
- Content marketing – not just trying to be a world famous blogger or publisher, but to create content that your target market needs
- Listening – understanding what concerns them and knowing how to create content to address issues they don’t know to ask
- Platform – John closes with a suggestion for what could be a powerful tool in the communication platform of those in leadership
See our shownotes at the conclusion of this post for details, links, and other resources that we may have mentioned in this episode.
- Buy John’s book, “Duct Tape Selling” on Amazon!
- Resource page – yourschoolmarketing/ducttapeselling
- Episode #34 – Part 1 of the interview with John
- Follow John on Twitter (@ducttape)
- Visit John’s blog (www.ducttapemarketing.com/blog)
- Like John on Facebook
- How to Set Up a WordPress blog for your Head of School (or anyone wanting to share ideas)
- Why a systematic approach of marketing is best for your Christian school
- Randy Vaughn’s profile on the Duct Tape Marketing Consultant Network
- See below or click here for more PODCAST episodes.
- Download our FREE ebooks (see bottom of page)
- Suggest a TOPIC or GUEST for the school marketing podcast.
- If you have a question or comment about this episode or any of our school marketing podcast shows, leave us a VOICEMAIL.
- Review our podcast in iTunes – your positive feedback tells other school marketing, admission and communication professionals that this is worth their time (remember, most podcast episodes are only 14 min and 29 seconds long!)
- TWITTER USERS: tell all your followers about this podcast! (click to tweet)
- Subscribe to the school marketing podcast.