Today is a unique “holiday”. It is “Back to the Future” Day – commemorating that future day featured in the 1980’s classic “Back to the Future II” movie. There are 2 main hashtags: #backtothefuture and #bttf2015.
So what does this odd cultural day have to do with your school?
When it comes to social media content, one tip is to look for trending topics and align your brand with that topic (unless it is inappropriate). There are many crazy social media “holidays” that occupy people’s newsfeeds on Instagram, Facebook and Twitter. Some of the more common ones that occur annually:
- International Talk Like a Pirate Day (September 19)
- May the 4th Be With You (Star Wars’ reference to May 4th)
- April Fool’s Day (social media loves this day to prank their followers)
- Pi Day (March 14 . . . get it? 3.14!)
There are so many other wacky holidays that you can find online – it seems there is a holiday for every day!
On this once-in-a-lifetime social media day (“Back to the Future Day”), what can you do to join the fun? Here are a 5 quick ideas:
- The year 1955 is also prominently featured in the prequel 1985 movie. Post some throwback pictures to 1955, showing how your campus has changed (if your school is that old!)
- If you have a Head of School or faculty member who was born in 1955, grab a quick video of them talking about their life, the way education has changed or the way life used to be in the 1950s.
- Since 1985 is one of the other years associated with the sequel movie, use the same logic as before. Throwback pictures are possibly easier to find for 1985 so dig those out of the yearbooks you have on the shelf in the library!
- Perhaps you can look for teachers, coaches or administrative staff that remember seeing the movie in their teens (the original movie was released in 1985). Shoot a quick video asking people what their favorite scenes were.
- Your Head of School can write a quick blog post, record a brief audio and post it to SoundCloud, or shoot a short video about the FUTURE of your school. If this day is celebrating that we have arrived “back to the future”, then what better time to lay out his/her vision for the next 5, 10 or even 30 years!
Have fun today . . . and as Doc Brown said in the movie to Marty McFly, “do it in style!”
*BONUS CONTENT* – grab a free copy of our Content Calendar spreadsheet (with many of these wacky holidays listed alongside other key events and dates throughout the year). This will help you plan your social media better . . . and weird and wacky holidays like this won’t creep up on you!
*BONUS TIP* – don’t forget that in 2016, we have a LEAP YEAR. Is there anything unique you can do with that? Be creative!
*SIGN UP FOR 5 FREE WEBINARS* – register for our “Pumpkin Spice Webinar Series” to get 5 free presentations on school marketing.Buffer